In anxiety and (complex) post-traumatic stress disorder, there are usually ‘triggers’ that cause feelings of anxiety.
- Find your triggers, possibly using journalism mentioned above.
- Rank your triggers from ‘1’ to ‘100’, and be careful not to rate them in a black and white way.
- Think of ways of approaching that trigger - eg. a car accident victim may firstly walk on the pavement, then cross a road, then take the bus for a short distance, then be a passenger in a car, etc.
- Expose yourself through the least stressful trigger. Use techniques outlined above on Depression & Anxiety to quel unhealthy thoughts.
- Work your way through the triggers.
A therapist is generally advisable in more severe cases, with therapy such as eg. EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing) being a gold standard for (C)PTSD and possibly other disorders.
Identify and figure out your own triggers here: